Chili Rubbed Shredded Beef Brisket
3-5 pound brisket
¼ cup chili powder
¼ cup ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons cup oregano
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Make the dry rub by combining the chili powder, ancho chili powder, oregano, cumin and dark brown sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- Season the brisket liberally with sea salt. Let the brisket sit for 20 minutes.
- Apply the dry rub, making sure to coat all sides.
- Refrigerate the brisket overnight in an airtight container.
- Place the brisket with any excess dry rub in the crock pot and enough water to cover about 2/3 of the brisket. Cover and cook on low for 8 – 10 hours.
- Unplug the crock pot and let the brisket cool for about an hour.
- Place the brisket on a cutting board and cut against the grain every 1-2 inches. Shred the brisket with tongs or forks and then return the brisket to the braising liquid.
Alternatively you can place the brisket in a braising pan with enough water to cover 2/3 of the brisket. Cover with a lid or foil and cook at 300 degrees for 5 hours or until the brisket is falling apart. Remove the brisket from the oven and let cool for an hour.