Pot Roast with Vegetables
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 yellow onion, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bunch baby carrots
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, stems removed and sliced in half
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Season all sides of the beef with a fair amount of salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot that has a tight cover heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately high heat. Brown the meat on all sides, taking the time to get a nice crust on the outside.
- Pour in the tomatoes and the water. Scatter the vegetables and herbs around the pot roast, season with salt and pepper; and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Braise for about 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes with the pan juices, until the beef is fork tender.
- Slice the pot roast and arrange on platter surrounded by the vegetables. Serve with the pot juices.