Skillet Tamale Pie
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion , minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 pound ground sirloin (lean)
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounces) can diced tomatoes , drained
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese , shredded (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
- Ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (3 3/4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal (3 3/4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted and cooled
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- For the tamale filling: Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the ground sirloin, beans, and tomatoes, and bring to a simmer, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Stir the cheddar and cilantro into the filling and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the cornbread topping: Meanwhile, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk and egg together. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until uniform. Stir in the butter until just combined.
- Dollop the cornbread batter evenly over the filling and spread into an even layer. Bake until the cornbread is cooked through in the center, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve.