Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 56 ounces chicken broth
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 16 ounce can tomato sauce
- tortilla chips
- shredded jack and cheddar cheese
- cilantro, chopped
- Sauté onion, garlic, jalapeño and green pepper with olive oil in a large pot until soft.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients to the large pot and bring to a boil.
- After about 15 minutes, remove the chicken breasts and shred. (Two forks work well to pull the chicken apart).
- Return shredded chicken to the pot and simmer an additional 45 minutes.
- Serve, topped with crushed tortilla chips, cheese and cilantro if desired.